Skip to main content

Advertisement

Nigerian Air Force deploys over 100 fighter jets in search of 110 abducted Dapchi girls

- The first 20 jets had been searching for the girls since the incident happened in Yobe state

- Babagana Monguno says the Nigerian Air Force has spent 200 hours in search of the girls

- Monguno vows that the government would continue to push harder until the girls are finally found

The federal government has revealed that the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has deployed at least 100 fighter jets as the search for the 110 schoolgirls abducted on February 19, while the Chief of Air Staff (CAC) Sadique Abubakar relocated to Yobe state.

The Nation reports that 20 of the jets have flown 200 hours as at late Monday, February 26, according to a fact sheet on the search released by Lai Mohammed, the information minister.

The report also quoted Babagana Monguno, the National Security Adviser (NSA), who visited Governor Ibrahim Gaidam in Damaturu, the Yobe state, on Tuesday, February 27, as announcing that 80 other planes would join the search for the girls.

READ ALSO: There is conspiracy against the youths - Peace Corps commandant

“The Nigerian Air Force has deployed 20 aircraft in Maiduguri and 80 others on their way. So far, 200 hours have been utilised in flying sorties looking for these girls.

“We have also been made aware of the fact that the Nigerian Air Force will step up its operation regardless of the very hard and severe weather condition.”

“Back in Abuja, we have set up our own machinery in dealing with this situation. All the security agencies have been working together.

“The situation room has been expanded - the one in the office of the National Security Adviser that is linked directly to all other security agencies but most importantly to the theatre command over here.

“I have made efforts with my counterparts across the region to try and work and share intelligence together and see how quickly we can bring to an end this very unfortunate situation.

“But, apart from that, we are also looking at other measures in dealing with past occurrences and how to forestall any future occurrence.

“The government will continue to push harder, dealing with all organisations - local and international - and engaging with every group that comes forward to see that these girls are brought back safely to their parents. This is a commitment that the government has made,” he said.

PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app

In his response, Gaidam was reported as saying it was “unfortunate that prior to the attack, the Army units stationed in Dapchi and Bayamari towns were removed.

“We are, therefore, of the opinion that there is no reason whatsoever to take that untimely action since Dapchi is the headquarters of one of the frontline local governments and Bayamari too is one of the major settlements close to the neighbouring Republic of Niger associated with porous terrain that should be protected.”

NAIJ.com earlier reported that the federal government set up a 12-member committee to unravel the circumstances surrounding the abduction of 110 students of the Government Girls Science and Technical College (GGSTC) in Dapchi, Yobe state, a statement from Lai Mohammed, the information minister, has said.

Smartphones giveaway. Hurry up! 1 week until winner announced - on NAIJ.com TV

Source: Naija.ng

Let's block ads! (Why?)

Comments

Facebook

Ads

Popular posts from this blog

ScienceDaily: Latest Science News

ScienceDaily: Latest Science News Uncoordinated trade policies aid alien bee invasions One year posttransplant, recipients of hepatitis C kidneys disease-free Moderate blood sugar control targets recommended for most patients with type 2 diabetes 'Epigenetic landscape' is protective in normal aging, impaired in Alzheimer's disease Health data used to predict who will use opioids after hospitalization Restoring lipid synthesis could reduce lung fibrosis New dual-atom catalyst shows promise to yield clean energy by artificial photosynthesis Wildfires: Smoke and cloud interactions unexpectedly result in cooling Tropical forest response to drought depends on age How does resolving cannabis problems differ from problems with alcohol or other drugs? Roton quasiparticles observed in quantum gas Low blood sugar poses unaddressed threat to people with type 2 diabetes Genetic 'se...

Trade booster: Working with Finance Ministry to ease export credit, says Suresh Prabhu

Trade booster: Working with Finance Ministry to ease export credit, says Suresh Prabhu Export credit provided by banks fell sharply by about 51.3% to Rs 22,300 crore as of September 28 from a year earlier. The commerce ministry is closely working with the finance ministry to ease credit flow to the export sector, commerce and industry minister Suresh Prabhu said on Tuesday. “One of the main challenges for export is finance. There is a decline in (export) finance, so we have taken up the issue with the finance ministry…I think, the finance minister is also looking into this (as in) how we can improve the credit flow into the export sector,” Prabhu told reporters. Federation of Indian Export Organisations (FIEO) President Ganesh Gupta has been seeking adequate credit to exporters on grounds that lack of adequate loans would crimp the growth of exports. India’s exports have been hovering around $300 billion a year since 2011-12, without substantial growth. Read also |  World’s highest...

Seyi Makinde threatens to expose Ajimobi, claims his Government inherited N150bn debt

Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo state has claimed that his administration inherited a minimum debt of N150 billion, adding that his administration is still checking the books to determine the actual total debt. Governor Makinde made the claim in a media chat on the state television on the occasion of his one month in office, The Nation reports. It was gathered that the governor threatened to expose his predecessor, Abiola Ajimobi , if he does not keep quiet about his (Makinde’s) administration. He said: “ We have confirmed N150b debt so far. We are still working to discover any other one. Some of them may be questionable. If you take bond, it is always tied to a particular project. If we want, we can do value-for-money audit.” According to Makinde, Oyo state receives N4.5b federal allocation while salaries and pensions stand at N5.5b, leaving the state with a shortage of N1b. The governor, however, said that all those facts were not big problems, adding that he would only be needing...