Skip to main content

Advertisement

New York cracks down on companies that sell fake followers

On Wednesday New York Attorney General Letitia James announced that her office had reached a settlement with Devumi, a company that made millions selling fake followers to unsuspecting customers. The state of New York found that Devumi had engaged in illegal deception and illegal impersonation in the course of fluffing up social media profiles with its automated accounts.

First reported by CNN, the settlement follows a New York state probe into the company after reports of suspicious activity and potentially deceptive business practices first surfaced. Almost exactly a year ago, The New York Times reported a big feature on the company that prompted the state’s probe.

In that piece, the Times describes Devumi as “an obscure American company… that has collected millions of dollars in a shadowy global marketplace for social media fraud.” The reported detailed how the company used a stable of 3.5 million bots to fuel a business that boiled down to making people look important on platforms including Twitter. Like any bot worth its sticker price, those accounts often came with names and profile images culled from real people to help them blend in and appear legitimate.

Devumi shut down operations mid-last year in the face of the state probe and slack sales. While some customers of the company and its affiliates were aware they were buying fake followers, many others were not. That deception is central to the state’s case.

The AG’s actions set an interesting precedent for a newly defined category of potential cyber crime — one that may strike fear into the hearts of sketchy social media companies the web over.

“Bots and other fake accounts have been running rampant on social media platforms, often stealing real people’s identities to carry out fraud,” James said of the settlement. “As people and companies like Devumi continue to make a quick buck by lying to honest Americans, my office will continue to find and stop anyone who sells online deception.”

Comments

Facebook

Ads

Popular posts from this blog

ScienceDaily: Latest Science News

ScienceDaily: Latest Science News Uncoordinated trade policies aid alien bee invasions One year posttransplant, recipients of hepatitis C kidneys disease-free Moderate blood sugar control targets recommended for most patients with type 2 diabetes 'Epigenetic landscape' is protective in normal aging, impaired in Alzheimer's disease Health data used to predict who will use opioids after hospitalization Restoring lipid synthesis could reduce lung fibrosis New dual-atom catalyst shows promise to yield clean energy by artificial photosynthesis Wildfires: Smoke and cloud interactions unexpectedly result in cooling Tropical forest response to drought depends on age How does resolving cannabis problems differ from problems with alcohol or other drugs? Roton quasiparticles observed in quantum gas Low blood sugar poses unaddressed threat to people with type 2 diabetes Genetic 'se...

Trade booster: Working with Finance Ministry to ease export credit, says Suresh Prabhu

Trade booster: Working with Finance Ministry to ease export credit, says Suresh Prabhu Export credit provided by banks fell sharply by about 51.3% to Rs 22,300 crore as of September 28 from a year earlier. The commerce ministry is closely working with the finance ministry to ease credit flow to the export sector, commerce and industry minister Suresh Prabhu said on Tuesday. “One of the main challenges for export is finance. There is a decline in (export) finance, so we have taken up the issue with the finance ministry…I think, the finance minister is also looking into this (as in) how we can improve the credit flow into the export sector,” Prabhu told reporters. Federation of Indian Export Organisations (FIEO) President Ganesh Gupta has been seeking adequate credit to exporters on grounds that lack of adequate loans would crimp the growth of exports. India’s exports have been hovering around $300 billion a year since 2011-12, without substantial growth. Read also |  World’s highest...

Seyi Makinde threatens to expose Ajimobi, claims his Government inherited N150bn debt

Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo state has claimed that his administration inherited a minimum debt of N150 billion, adding that his administration is still checking the books to determine the actual total debt. Governor Makinde made the claim in a media chat on the state television on the occasion of his one month in office, The Nation reports. It was gathered that the governor threatened to expose his predecessor, Abiola Ajimobi , if he does not keep quiet about his (Makinde’s) administration. He said: “ We have confirmed N150b debt so far. We are still working to discover any other one. Some of them may be questionable. If you take bond, it is always tied to a particular project. If we want, we can do value-for-money audit.” According to Makinde, Oyo state receives N4.5b federal allocation while salaries and pensions stand at N5.5b, leaving the state with a shortage of N1b. The governor, however, said that all those facts were not big problems, adding that he would only be needing...